I have had a love of skin indulgent products, well, for as long as I can remember. I used to covet certain body lotion and shower gel stores that usually appear in the malls (and shall remain nameless, but you know a few I’m suggesting…). HOWEVER, I am as you already know an avid label reader. If you are a store that makes skin products, then why all the yucky extra junk added in? I’m no longer such a fan. Now that I have two sensitive skinned babies of my own I have turned to more direct tactics. Whole. Raw. Organic. Non-GMO. Words that I love. This is what I now slather on myself and my family. They happily oblige by the way. Which was not always the case when applying eczema steroid creams that burn on scratches.
- 1 cup raw, organic Shea butter
- 1/2 cup organic cold pressed coconut oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil (Or apricot, jojoba, etc.)
- Essential oils (Skin friendly!)
- In a double boiler, melt the Shea and coconut oil
- Once fully melted, set aside and let sit for 30 minutes
- Add in the olive oil and stir. At this point you could add 5-10 drops of a skin friendly essential oil. After that, place the bowl in the freezer for about 25 minutes
- Scrape down the sides and the bottom, so it’s all loose in the bowl. Otherwise your mixer may not fully combine ALL the ingredients.
- Whip that bad boy with a stand or hand mixer until fluffy and white. Mine looked like beautiful, freshly whipped cream.
Scrape out every speck and spatter or your lovely mixture and slap it into an air-tight container. You could totally use a glass jar. I’m packaging these little beauties into clean baby food jars for Christmas gifts! It doesn’t seem like a lot of uses in that little jar, but believe me, a little goes a long way. This seriously melts into your skin instantly. It liquifies immedietly. I’m POSITIVE you will never be buying store bought lotion again.